Thursday, January 21, 2010


When I was in line at the United Noodle yesterday, a lady behind me asked how much this bamboo steamer cost. I said, "$12.99." She goes, "Hmm." I said, "Is that a good price?" Now -- I don't want to be racist. But I have learned that talking with Chinese people it is great to compare prices. This is not unknown to a Minnnesotan.

She goes, "I don't know; I've never bought one."

I said, "Same here. It's my first one."

She goes, "Do you know how to make dim sum?"

I was stumped. Just trying to make conversation. I go:

"Um, well, um, well, um, no."

And then they all smiled at me. All of them. All the people in the store looking at me white lady with my Chinese daughter. Oh shit. So I go:

"I can make dumplings!"

And then they all smiled at me. All of them. And I was embarrassed as hell, knowing that my dumplings totally suck, and they know my dumplings suck too. So I go:

"I'm learning! I'm learning!" and I rushed Ariel out of the store, continuing to yell, "I'm learning! I'm learning!" as if that's good enough.

I want this blog to be interactive. So -- I have 2 assignments for you:

1) How do you use a bamboo steamer? and
2) Do you know about a fruit that looks like a very dark-green papaya?

Plus, tomorrow I will post my dumpling recipe! OMG they are so tasty, even though the form and shape and dexterity of handling them totally sucks.

1 comment:

  1. 1) use the steamer over a wok with water in it or a frying pan also filled with water. Sometimes I just stick it over a pot that fits the diameter too.

    2)I'd say it's a green papaya, wouldn't you? Is it smaller or bigger than a papaya?

    ReplyDelete