Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Source of the Heat

I get my recipes from a variety of sources, especially cookbooks. I see recipes as suggestions; they are guidelines to get me started. I don't always have the stuff I need, so I have to make substitutions.

One's own kitchen is the source of the heat. That sacred space is where the complete sensual experience is encountered day after day. Food is affected by the cook's attitude, stress level, amount of hunger, other odors in the house, how clean or messy the space is, what else is in the fridge or pantry, who's going to eat the food (and how you feel about them), etc. etc.

I can't remember where I got my recipe for dumplings. I think I used lots of different recipes and made something up. Nonetheless, there is a great recipe to begin with in "The Joy of Cooking." I am not going to type out every recipe that I mention from that book. If you don't have that book, you just need to go get it. It is the most important book in the kitchen. Second most important, Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." Indispensable. Also, "Asian Noodles" by Nina Simonds is really fantastic. I've cooked nearly all the recipes in it, and the photos are delectable. For sheer beauty, "flavours" by Donna Hay is wonderful to look at. The recipes are pretty good too, just not mind-blowingly delicious.

Next week I will be on vacation in Mexico. I have five Mexican cookbooks, and I will tell you this: you cannot find true Mexican cooking in a book. You just can't. You have to experience the flavors, fresh ingredients that haven't been shipped anywhere, and the people who cook it and eat it. That is how you learn to cook Mexican. Rely on anybody who knows anything about cooking Mexican food, trust me.

Ah, now all I can think about is lime juice and cilantro!

No comments:

Post a Comment