Wednesday, January 20, 2010


I let my daughter walk in the grocery store, instead of keeping her contained in the cart. It used to make me nervous, because she can get into so much stuff. Now, I really, really enjoy shopping with her because I get to watch what she is so attracted to. She loves food, and I want to see what makes her excited.

Today she brought me a package of tapioca pearls. I think they are used for bubble tea. She was super excited about them; they looked like candy. I said, "That's for tea. We won't be getting that. Put it back." And she did! She put it back! Oh, my gosh, I am so proud of her. Later, she picked out a small cake from a cold case. "Meat!" she said, "I want meat!" So I bought it. It was a bean cake for $1.99. When we were checking out, I noticed a couple of things in the cart that I didn't intend to buy: tofu, and a fruit that looked like a dark-green papaya (anyone know what that is?). I went to put them back, and when I returned, Ariel was behind the counter helping the checker bag our canned goods. The checker was so good-natured about it, I didn't even have to apologize. Though I did explain how helping is her favorite activity. I just can't help myself! I have to tell every person in sight how great she is!

We were at United Noodle, the greatest Asian food store ever! It just happens to be about 1/2 mile from my home. How lucky am I????

I opened the bean cake at the register, and offered it to Ariel. It was so weird how the outer casing stretched out with her first bite. Like gum, mixed with bread. Weird. Anyway, she ate some of it.

This blog might not offer you a lot of recipes, but hopefully I can turn you on to some new stuff. I have new books to read now, and I have a page on Goodreads.com if you want to check that out too.


"The Last Chinese Chef" by Nicole Mones

"Sharks Fin and Sichuan Pepper" by Fuchsia Dunlop (don't you love that name?)

"Her Fork in the Road" ed. by Lisa Bach


And in case you are wondering, both my cats are sleeping peacefully on my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment