Friday, January 8, 2010

A Little Taste of Summer



I have a good rib recipe to share with you. But first I want you to know that I am a huge rib snob. Yes, I am one of those. The only person I know who can make ribs better than me is my friend Roy. And let's just say he has a few years on me, so it's okay. I have only been making ribs for about 7 years but I have worked really hard at it. I have tried many, many recipes of different ethnic origins, and this recipe is hands-down the best, every single time.

Yes, it is important to stand over a grill for 3 hours turning and basting your ribs. However, it happens to be below zero here so compromises have to be made. Yesterday I followed the "Joy of Cooking" method of oven-roasting ribs. It worked real good. I approve.

KC Rub

2 c sugar
1/4 c paprika
2 T chili powder
2 T cayenne
1/2 c salt - see below*
2 T black pepper
1 T garlic powder

*I don't always have garlic powder on hand, but I always have garlic salt, so I balance the salt w/ garlic salt if necessary. E.g. for 1/2 recipe: 1 T garlic salt, 2 T salt.

Yes, you must rub your ribs several hours in advance, preferably for a day or two. When I am being very serious and inviting people over, my ribs get marinated for three days. I told you, I do not mess around. I will take you down!

Just kidding. Anyway - a couple more tips. Cut the fat off your ribs. I absolutely hate a fatty pork rib. It's disgusting! And if you want to get some amazingly delectable barbecued ribs go to Rendezvouz in Memphis, Tennessee. You will not be disappointed. Or - go to their website and order a rack right now! Free shipping!

1 comment:

  1. I have garlic powder on hand if you need to borrow a cup! :)

    ReplyDelete