Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Don't Be Scared

Midwestern food can be challenging for an east coast/west coast foodie. I understand those challenges, but please, open your mind.

There's a little cafe in Longfellow that serves basic food to people who eat basic food. Meat, potatoes, and gravy for lunch. The one time I was there, the clientele was senior citizens who go there to have lunch and converse with friends. It was very midwestern, and if you don't get it, well, you are missing out on seeing the beauty of that.

I ordered a barbecued pulled pork sandwich, and it came with blue cheese cole slaw. I just HAD to try the cole slaw.

"I'm sorry. We're out of the ingredients to make cole slaw today. I can give you a substitute," said the waitron. Oh, no! Oh, well. That's okay.

Then, a few minutes later, "It turns out, we DO have the ingredients to make the cole slaw, if you still want it."

"Oh, yes. Yes, please! I want to try the cole slaw!" I kid you not, this is how I act in a restaurant.

I was there with my daughter, my mom, and my dad. Now, my mom and I eat this cole slaw often. Maybe it's our Danish roots (blue cheese, anyone?), maybe it's our Minnesota roots (milkfat, please).


BLUE CHEESE COLE SLAW: Sliced/chopped cabbage, blue cheese, mayonnaise, salt & pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment