Saturday, May 22, 2010

Weather Conundrums, and Guilty Pleasures



It is a typical spring day in Minnesota: I have changed clothes three times already, to accommodate the weather changes. I will probably change again when the sun goes down.

It was cool and rainy in the morning, and the kids are sick so I wanted to make a big pot of soup. But the weather forecasters are telling us it will be 90 in about 5 hours. A big pot of hot soup would be a waste. What to make? Vichyssoise! Potato soup is one of my favorites because it can be eaten hot or cold. The baby can it plain, and I can spice mine up with hot sauce and a drizzle of olive oil (note my artistry in photo above). Also note my culinary artistry with fresh spring herbs from my garden: savory, tarragon, and chive blossom. Mmmm....

Also today I am in the process of making red velvet cake, using this recipe. It is inspirational, I tell you. I just found out that you can make cakes just for fun! Who knew?

Well, actually, I do have a guilty little reason for making this cake. My daughter got a fever this week and I didn't take her to the doctor because I wasn't really very worried. But she stayed sick, so I finally took her in and she has strep throat. So I felt really bad for not taking this more seriously, and I bought her presents, and now I am making a cake. I think that makes up for being somewhat negligent, don't you?

1 comment:

  1. Poor baby! I hope she's feeling better. You are not a neglectful mom!

    ReplyDelete