Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Rant About American Media and Consumerism

I took a non-fiction writing class at The Loft a few years ago. One of the aspects of non-fiction writing was The Rant. I love to rant about the media. Here ensues a rant.

There is a TV in my kitchen. Unfortunately, during most cooking hours there is nothing on TV (we don't have cable). I was watching the local news while cooking dinner this evening. A reporter came on to tell about a study that somehow predicts that Americans are going to shop this year, for Christmas. The newscaster responds with, "That IS good news," and the reporter goes, "Yes, it is." Then he goes on to report on this whatever made-up study, and says, "This is the KEY to the holiday season."

Well, I had to switch off the television and rant out loud to my husband about how much I hate local news, because, really? That's the KEY to our economic woes? Shopping?? And here I thought that Americans were getting a dose of reality with all the foreclosures and excessive debt, and that we are shopping LESS, in order to preserve what we have. What's that blues song? "I don't want anything for Christmas, I just want to keep what I have."

Don't take me the wrong way. I like shopping. I like buying stuff, like any red-blooded American. (Where did that term "red-blooded American" come from anyway?) The thing is, if you read this blog, and any other mlogs (that's mom-blog, in case you didn't know), it's apparent that red-blooded American women are DIY-ing it in every arena of life, including Christmas gifts. I could probably point to half of my readers who would prefer my home-grown, home-pickled green beans to anything I could buy at a store. Am I right? The difference is that those pickled beans are a product of hard work, and they are made with love. I can see it in the recipient's eyes: love.

When the DIY-ers are reported on in the media, it's like, quaint. Like, isn't it quaint how she pickles beans or sews children's clothes or knits hats & mittens? Isn't it so cute & quaint? And oh, the money-saving part of it... well, whatever. It's like they are saying, we all know that overworked moms do this kind of shit to have a creative outlet to make them feel better about themselves. And isn't it cute? Something to admire, to be sure. But obviously a throw-back to "more simpler times," in a romantic way.

What's my point? you want to know. I don't really have one. But if I must sharpen it, I will say that I'm just so mad at our terrible news media. I said to my husband, "What gives them the right to say it's good news that people are going to shop?"

I must tell you that I recently watched "What Would Jesus Buy?" on Netflix. It's a documentary about The Church of Stop Shopping, starring Reverend Billy. I thought it would be a knee-jerk liberal reaction to consumerism, so I had low expectations, but it was heart-warming and funny. Reverend Billy is an actor, but he actually takes his message to the people very seriously. His choir is 100% behind him, and it's a beautiful thing to watch. They stage events where he preaches to the people, "Stop shopping!" And then he gets arrested.

I didn't grow green beans this year. I didn't pickle green beans this year. I don't know what gifts I will be giving to the people I care about. I have made one decision: I am giving up the "green" wrapping, and I am trading it in for shiny expensive paper and luxury ribbons. Because I do know one thing: it's not only the thought that counts, it's the presentation.

1 comment: