Thursday, August 12, 2010

Weird Pizza Hut Invention vs. Tree Bark for Food





This new form of pizza is being advertised on TV, and it is really freaking me out. I post these pictures so that you, too, can freak out.

I really don't know what to say about such an invention made from pizza-type food. Except that, yes, we do have an obesity epidemic.

And yes, people will dip those weird little cheese-filled things into Ranch dressing.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, have you read "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck? Well, I recently read "Pearl of China" by Anchee Min, and so I became very interested in Pearl Buck's life. She was an American (white/German) daughter of missionaries who worked in China. She grew up there, and therefore considered herself Chinese. When she was an adult, political events forced her to leave China, and spend the rest of her life in the U.S. She won the Nobel Peace Prize and a Pulitzer for "The Good Earth," which was also made into a movie.

I'm on page 96 of "The Good Earth," and boy, is it depressing! It is just like reading "The Grapes of Wrath," a book forced on teenage Americans in high school. I understand why this is a great work of literature, but oh, boy! Only one-third through the book, the family is starving and eating grass and tree bark, and taking a walking trip to lands south where there might be more food. I don't think this is a summer read.

I am not a religious person, but I am thankful every day of my life for the luck I have in food. We are growing totally delicious and healthy vegetables, I know how to cook them, and we are never, ever bored of the available bounty. I am totally aware that it may not last for my whole life, or for my daughter's whole life. So each day, I am thankful for my food.

3 comments:

  1. We just ordered that pizza on Wednesday. G was obsessed with the commercials. It was pretty good - very cheesy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIkes!
    And I'm not surprized that it tastes good--What's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being aware of your personal blessings and bounty is what being spiritually alive is all about. Good for you! You remind me to acknowledge and love my own personal blessings. Religion- bah! Spirit- yay!
    *all these thoughts popped into my head after eating that pizza explosion you featured above.*
    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete