Friday, August 6, 2010

Tandoori Chicken, and Swimming

I had tandoori chicken for the first time about 10 years ago. My friend, Debra, who is a really, really, great cook, served it at her home. Now that I think about it, my best friends are really great cooks. They can make something spectacular from scratch in no time at all. I continue to be amazed by my friends, who are just regular weirdos, by the way they cook truly delicious meals inspired by recipes from all over the world. How blessed I am to know such people.

Indian cooking requires many ingredients, though the cooking is actually very simple. You just have to have the spices on hand. You can make an out-of-this-world cauliflower dish, very simply, if you just have the spices on hand. If you read an Indian recipe, you may be put off by the list of ingredients; once you get that under control, you can cook anything quickly, and simply, without much prep.

For some reason, tandoori marinade has always scared me. It seems so exotic and complicated. Ten years ago, Debra told me it was easy. And yet....
But the real truth is that the DH is lactose-intolerant, and therefore I avoid cooking with dairy. Yogurt is the main ingredient in tandoori marinade.

The chicken is marinating right now, and I just hope I can cook it properly on the grill. Friday is always a very good day. My daughter has a new saying this week; each morning she says to me, "Mommy, I am so happy today!" She has such joie de vivre, and has brought so much joy to our home. And why wouldn't she be happy? She has a great life. Check out the video of her swimming this morning.

5 comments:

  1. Your daughter is lovely... so nice running to you and saying "mommy, mommy....". Carmen does the same, she arrives me and embraces strong my legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video is so damn cute, Jo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's taken us years of swimming lessons to get to that point - she's a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did the chicked turn out?

    ReplyDelete