Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Worries & Fish Cakes





As most of you know, my daughter, Ariel, is the most awesomest person on the planet. I am so proud of her all the time. She is beautiful, joyful, friendly, caring, and intelligent. Most of all, she is beautiful. That is because she is so joyful, caring, and intelligent.

After spending time with her for a year and three months, I had to send her into the outside world, to preschool. You know, to broaden her horizons and such. I know she needs it; she needs more than me. But it has been painful and worrisome to me. How will other people react to her? How will she react to others? Will she be excluded? Will there be racism? etc. etc.

Raising a child brings out the best in me. It is also a mirror to my fears and my self-esteem. When her teacher told me some things about her that I had not seen as problems, they seemed like problems, and I took it personally. I worried all day about whether or not my daughter was going to be okay at preschool. So I did something even more worrisome: I made fish cakes!

I have eaten great fish cakes, and awful fish cakes. I have watched them made on TV, and read recipes on how to make them. Once, I was at a company Christmas party where we made fish cakes as an activity. I have to tell you, it has never, ever looked easy.

But WTH! I tried it last night. And they were damn good.

More with tilapia from CostCo!!!

FISH CAKES

Use frozen fish; thaw it half-way. I used tilapia and shrimp.

Process in a food processor, on pulse: 1/2 of the fish & bread crumbs. Keep it chunky.

Process the rest of the very cold (partially frozen) fish, plus one egg.

Process with more bread crumbs.

Mmmm... this paste looks good. Handle with care. Make cakes, and pat with Saltine cracker crumbs. Fry in oil.

Oh, it's amazing, and it has no mayonnaise. BTW, I used my strawberry-dill sauce for dipping.

Side Dish: SAUTEED FRESH CHARD

1 comment:

  1. I will try those fishcakes, but what's wrong with mayonnaise?

    ReplyDelete