Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Carrot Cashew Soup From The Bagelry

Oh, people, I am a bad, bad person. I try to be good, but I am human.

Last night I made a variation on Rice & Tuna: Mixed Sushi. A salad of cold sushi rice, smoked salmon, spinach, soybeans, and carrots. Sounds pretty good, right? NOT! And this is what I paired it with -- (am I crazy?):

Carrot Cashew Soup

OK, so we ate it as a family, and Ariel went to bed peacefully, and then I was HUNGRY! I have unused tickets for pregnancy cravings and postpartum depression, so I asked my DH to get me junk food. I wanted a junk food sandwich. He brought home a Milio's Italian sub and I ate the whole thing. He kept asking me, "Are you going to finish that?" because I would pause and breathe, and enjoy, and he knows I never finish something so huge as that. But I ate ALL of it.

It feels wrong, and it feels wrong. I HATE supporting factory farming of any kind. Weak! I am so weak! My body is speaking for me! My body is having more power than my intellect! I hate that!

Anyway, this soup is freaking' awesome:

CARROT CASHEW SOUP
From The Bagelry in Santa Cruz, California (where I worked for 2 years)

Saute 1 onion, some ginger, and some garlic in sesame oil.
Add some sliced carrots, and broth, and cook until almost done.
Add whole cashews, and cook until soft.
Puree.
Add soy sauce to taste.

The recipe I had from The Bagelry was for about 8 quarts of soup, enough to supply customers for a day. I adapted it for just a family. You do what you think is right. For me, making soup is all about salt content and texture.

Tonight, I'm going to ask my DH to make greasy tacos, filled with ground beef. Ethically-raised beef, of course.

3 comments:

  1. P.S. You SC people probably want more of The Bagelry's recipes. I have them all! The bidding starts here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't care how healthy and tasty something is, if you have to eat an entire hoagie after your meal, it was not a success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Spain we eat a cashew puree and cashew soup in winter, tipically for Christmas dinner.
    It was also very often to have for Christmas dinner almond soup (it is sweet and eaten as dessert) I will try to get the receipe for you, my mother did both during a lot of years.

    ReplyDelete