Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Popcorn for Dinner

I haven't published a post in a month. I feel kind of bad about it, because I don't have anything to write. I lost my inspiration for food. What happened? I finally realized it last night, after I ate an entire bag of microwave popcorn for dinner (which for some reason needed a half a stick of butter on it), and then while I was taking a long, hot, relaxing bath, I realized why I have been unwell for most of the winter. I realized why I can't fight a cold when I get one, or get over it in a timely manner. I realized this: I am STARVING.

I may have mentioned before that I lost a lot of weight in the first year of raising Ariel. I wasn't ever able to eat because she always took my food. I willingly gave it to her. Sometimes meal times were a little stressful, as my DH and I worked out what table manners were expected of our child. That sometimes ruined my appetite. I was nervous a lot, which makes me kind of nauseated. Eventually, I think I just gave up food.

I was kept alive for weeks on congee. My diet has lately consisted of that wonderful, smooth rice porridge. (Maybe I was subconsciously trying to relate to the kids in the orphanage.) Sometimes we would have a free-range rotisserie chicken, and I would inhale it so fast I felt sick. Also I ate cheese. By itself.

It feels really good to get this off my chest. I don't know if this is interesting to you, but it does feel good to write it. I heretofore resolve to start eating again, regularly. I would like to share a recipe with you that is just ridiculous, and so good. Great for sharing with kids. I don't have a name for it; perhaps you can help?

Directions:

Warm a flour tortilla. Spread peanut butter on tortilla. Add a row of cooked chicken, some crunchy pears, and lettuce. Fold up into a wrap, and slice into cute little wheels. Chow down!

4 comments:

  1. Crap, Jo! Let's put these days of starvation well behind you. I resolve to keep yummy, greasy classic style and ripple chips in house all summer, as well as cottage cheese or some type of dip. You and Ariel come over whenever, the kids can bag against each other and we'll eat chips. Dang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed you this month!!!!!!
    I also have lost a lot of weith when we adopted Carmen, but I've got it back!!!!!
    I will send you an email today or tomorrow.... again in hospital with carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll need to get those backyard BBQ recipes ready for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once all those gorgeous summer veggies start coming in, you'll feel inspired again! Nothing like cooking for children to suck all the fun out of food - I can definitely relate.

    ReplyDelete